“Gloria is frustrated with her inability to lose weight. She just doesn’t seem to have the metabolism she had in the past. Despite her switch to cleaner eating and regular spin classes, she just cannot get that weigh scale to budge. She has plateaued. Gloria noticed her energy drastically decrease since her menstrual cycle became irregular.”
Why am I having trouble losing weight?
Gloria is going through perimenopause.
What is perimenopause?
Perimenopause is the time in a women’s life leading up to and before menopause, where menses permanently stop.
I constantly see women struggling with their weight who are being told to simply exercise more and eat less.
While exercise is important, overdoing it is one of the worst things you can do for weight loss during perimenopause.
Over restriction of calories while on a high volume exercise plan can stress your body out more; And this, will make weight loss more difficult.
It is important to have relief, but what I know is difficulty losing weight during this time is not due to a lack of exercise or improper caloric intake but is due to hormonal changes.
These hormonal changes cause a variety of symptoms caused by a hormonal imbalance, not by a deficiency in exercise or improper caloric intake.
Other symptoms may include:
- Weight gain
- Depression/difficulty coping/Irritability
- Sleep disturbances
- Hot flashes
- Bone loss
- Breast cancer
Many people do not know that this hormonal transition called perimenopause can start as early as 39 years old!
Take my FREE Female Hormone Analysis Quiz
Unlock the reason why you are having trouble losing weight.
3 Health Tips for Weight loss
1. Stay away from sugar and opt for high protein foods
- Pass on that extra sugar in the coffee and that sweet donut treat. Small consistent dietary changes will have long-term effects and stop your weight from creeping up on the scale. Blood sugar dysregulation triggers fat storage and weight gain. High protein foods help regulate blood sugar levels.
2. Opt for high fibre foods
- Our body eliminates toxins and hormones with the help of soluble and insoluble fibre. Increase your fibre intake, by eating plenty of steamed vegetables. This will slow the absorption of carbohydrates and prevent blood sugar spikes that trigger fat storage.
3. Get your hormones tested with Dr. Jutai!
Supplement of the Month
Flora SAP is a vaginal probiotic. Vaginal probiotics are important for regulating your immune system and correcting microbial imbalances. If you are prone to yeast infections and urinary tract infections you likely have a microbial imbalance. Dr. Jutai’s patients can pick this up at any time.
Modality of the Month
Did you know B12 and MIC regulates energy and hormone pathways?
Did you know that a large percentage of the population has trouble making the bioavailable form of B12, called methylcobalamin?
Dr. Jutai offers bioavailable B12 and MIC injections.
Functional Medicine Testing
Female Salivary Hormone Panel
Did you know that salivary hormone testing is the only test that measures hormone that actually enters the tissue?
Dr. Jutai uses salivary hormone testing to correct your symptoms caused by hormonal imbalance.
Talk to Dr. Elena Jutai N.D. to balance your hormonal health and get your energy and zest for life back.