“Your health is complex, so your testing should be too.”
~ Dr. Elena Jutai N.D.
I commonly see patients who have thrown a whack load of supplements at their digestive symptoms with the result of little to no long-term improvements.
We have all heard of probiotics, digestive enzymes coupled with gluten-free diets. While these items can have indications for beneficial use, they are not always addressing the root cause of your digestive health concerns.
The truth is WITHOUT testing you cannot know what is actually happening on a biochemical level when it comes to your digestive health.
For that reason, I emphasize the value of functional medicine testing.
Urinary indican testing can be done with a simple morning urine sample.
- Urinary indican is an effective screening tool to assess for protein digestion, dysbiosis (imbalance of good and bad gut flora), small intestine bacterial overgrowth (SIBO), leaky gut (intestinal hyperpermeability) and malabsorption.
- This test measures indican levels, a byproduct of tryptophan protein putrefaction.
When the digestive tract is dysbiotic (imbalanced), indican is produced. This dysbiosis causes putrefaction of tryptophan from dietary protein and results in many symptoms.
Indican testing can be beneficial in those who experience:
- Gas and bloating
- Slow bowel elimination
- Bad breath
- Weight issues
- Food, supplement, and medication sensitivities
- Frequent use of antibiotics and or antacids, Nexium, and proton pump inhibitors to manage reflux
- Auto-immune conditions like Hashimoto’s thyroiditis
- Skin issues
Interested in doing this test?
Book a follow-up appointment with Dr. Jutai
How to Prepare for the Urinary Indican Test:
Patient Preparation: 24 hrs before the morning of the test
- You must consume chicken or turkey for tryptophan protein
- Stop using salt
- Stop all nutritional supplements.
- Stop coffee, tea, colas, and alcoholic beverages.
- Stop any beets or carrots.
*Collect a first morning urine sample in the provided container and bring this to your follow-up visit with Dr. Jutai